ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (February 10, 2018) – The Tars played a pair of games against No. 7 North Georgia to begin their South/Southeast Region Crossover. Rollins lost twice, falling to 2-5 on the year, while the Nighthawks improve to 8-0 to start the 2018 campaign.
Slow starts doomed the Tars in both contests, losing game one 7-5 in eight innings, after falling behind 3-0 after two frames. North Georgia jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the early stages of game two on the way to a 8-0 victory over the Tars.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- North Georgia got on the board first, scoring three runs in the bottom of the second on a pair of RBI singles.
- The Tars responded in the top of the third on the first career homerun by Tayler Holt. A Kacie Booth double turned into the Tars second tally of the frame when she scored on an error off the bat of Abigail Sexton. Chandler Middlebrook then slugged her first long ball of the year, a three run shot to put Rollins up 5-3.
- North Georgia put up lone runs in the fifth and the sixth innings to tie the score at 5-5. The fifth inning tally came on a homerun by Sydney Sprague.
- It was the long ball that would eventually be the Tars' downfall in game one, as Shelby Hammontree blasted a two run shot in the bottom of the eighth to walkoff with the win for the Nighthawks.
- North Georgia got on the board in the first frame, with an RBI single, then tacked on two more runs on a Rollins error.
- Another fielding mishap allowed the Nighthawks to cross the plate once more, making the score 4-0 after two.
- North Georgia loaded the bases in the fourth before driving in three more runs with back to back singles.
- Game one hero Hammontree singled in the Nighthawks eighth run in the top of the sixth. The Tars were unable to get on the board in the bottom of frame, ending the contest after six innings.
- Chandler Middlebrook (1B) – 2-4, HR, 3 RBI, Run
- Shelby Hammontree (C) – 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, Run
- Abby Summers – L, CG, 7 Runs, 6 ER
- Kylee Smith – W, 1.1 IP, 3 SO
- Brianne Lint (DP) – 1-2
- Alishia Frierson – 2-2, 3 RBI, Run
- Grace Street – L, 6.0 IP, 8 Runs, 7 ER, 6 SO
- Kylee Smith – W, 5.0 IP, 0 Runs, 11 SO
- Tayler Holt's game one, third inning, homerun was her first in the Blue and Gold.
- Rollins falls to 1-5 all-time against North Georgia.
- Michelle Frew is now 773-330-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
Rollins will complete their play at the South/Southeast Region Crossover tomorrow, Sunday, February 11, when they take on the hosts, Flagler, in doubleheader action. First pitch of game one is scheduled for noon.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.