Rollins Unable to Top Spartans in First Game of Season
TAMPA, Fla. (February 10, 2018) – The nationally-ranked Rollins women's lacrosse team found themselves in a 2-0 deficit five minute into the game and were unable to recover, falling to the University of Tampa by a final score of 10-6 on Saturday afternoon at the Naimoli Family Athletic Complex.
The loss opens the Tars' 11th season with a record of 0-1, and 0-1 in Sunshine State Conference action, while the Spartans defeat Rollins for the first time in their program's history and open their season with a record of 1-0, and 1-0 in SSC play.
Paige Brock led the way in scoring for the day, tallying a game high three goals and adding one assist for four points. Hannah Ashton scored two goals of her own, while Maggie Dougherty matched Ashton in points with one goal and one assist. Also earning assists on the day were Kallie German and Hannah Coakley with one apiece. Dougherty led the team with four ground balls and three draw controls, while Lindsay Van Beck, Brooke Ottaway, and Hannah Forbes caused a team best two turnovers each. In goal, Malorie Olin and Sarah Neely split time, with both earning five saves on the day.
Tampa saw eight different players score goals on the day, led by Maggie Gladden and Carly Vaccaro with two each. Caroline Foester, Amanda Rom, Claire Swanson, Rachel Crawford, Shannon Sweeney, and NMatalie Carraway each added one goal apiece on the afternoon. Crawford and Carraway notched three points each as they both contributed two assists apiece, while Gladden and Vaccaro each contributed one assist on the day. Forester picked up a team best four ground balls, while Allie Popelar led the team with three draw controls. On defense, Katie Aldrich, Swanson, and Forester each caused a team best two turnovers. In goal for the Spartans, Bridget Sutter played a full game, earning 11 saves while allowing just six goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First Half: Tampa jumped out to a two goal lead with 23:26 on the clock, but Ashton broke the run at the 22:33 mark to put the Tars on the board. Tampa answered back with 6:57 on the clock, pulling ahead, 3-1, but two goals by the Tars within 35 seconds of each other knotted the score at 3-3 with 5:12 to go before the half. The Spartans fought back, scoring two consecutive goals to pull back out to a two goal lead, 5-3, with 3:34 on the clock. Rollins found the back of the net thanks to a P. Brock goal off of an assist by German, but Tampa notched one last goal of their own to close out the half with a 6-4 lead.
- Ashton opened up the scoring in the second stanza, pulling the Tars back to within one, 6-5 with 26:57 to play. Tampa bounce back and netted four straight, taking their largest lead of the game, 10-5, with 4:29 left on the clock. P. Brock again placed a ball in cage thanks to an assist by Dougherty with 1:11 to go, but the deficit was too much as the Tars fell to the Spartans by four points.
- Rollins earned two preseason rankings, checking in at No. 11 on the IWLCA DII Preseason Coaches Poll, and No. 14 on the Nike/US Lacrosse DII Preseason Top-20
- Rollins now leads the all-time series against the Spartans, 5-1. This game marks the first time Tampa has defeated the Tars in program history.
- The Tars have not lost a season opener since their inaugural season back in 2008, when they fell to then seventh-ranked Pfeiffer by a final score of 19-12.
- Last time out against the Spartans, the Tar earned a dominating 24-6 victory over UT on February 8, 2017 in Winter Park
- Rollins is now 2-1 against the Spartans when playing at Tampa
- The Tars and Spartans have kicked off the last five seasons against each other.
Rollins returns home to Winter Park to open their home schedule, welcoming Lincoln Memorial to Cahall-Sandspur Field on Sunday, February 18. Game time against LMU is set for 11 a.m. Fans who are unable to attend the game will be able to follow all of the action live with live stats on TarsStats.com, as well as with free live video on the Tars Sports Network on RollinsSportsLive.com, as well as on the Sunshine State Conference Digital Network at SunshineStateConference.tv.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins men's lacrosse team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.