VALDOSTA, Ga. (February 22, 2020) - On the final day of a tough stretch that saw them play four nationally ranked opponents in a week, Rollins failed to claim the upset bid as #19 Valdosta State defeated the Tars 4-1 on Saturday.
The Blazers secured the first point of the match by winning the first two doubles matches. In flight two, Andrea Brignacca and Atakan Gezer fell 6-2 against Luca Mack and Edward Etty. In flight three, Freddy Danielson and Mikkel Baumann succumbed to Adam Kalivoda and Robert Cizek. With the point already clinched, the flight one match betwene Luke Horan/Gai Feigin and Yohan Nguyen/Florian Simbozel went unfinished.
In singles play Rollins posted a 1-3 record, with two additional matches going unfinished:
- Yohan Nguyen, the seventh ranked singles player in the country, took down senior Luke Horan 6-0, 6-2 in flight one.
- Gai Feigin also dropped his match in flight two, losing to Simbozel by a score of 6-3, 6-2.
- The Tars secured their only point of the day when Andrea Brignacca made quick work of Cizek, 6-2, 6-2. It was Brignacca's fifth singles win on the year, most on the Rollins squad.
- Freddy Danielson battled Kalivoda in flight six, but lost in two sets, 6-4, 6-2.
- Atakan Gezer and Mikkel Baumann did not finish their matches in flights three and four with the overall match already decided. Both players were headed to a third set against their opponents Luka Mack (Gezer) and Edward Etty (Baumann).
The loss drops the Tars' record to 1-5 on the year. All five losses have come agianst nationally ranked opponents. Rollins will receive a much-needed break as their next game is not until Saturday, March 7th at home against Wayne State.