WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 7, 2020) - After a tough stretch that saw the Tars faceoff against four straight natiinally ranked opponents, Rollins earned a much-needed win over Wayne State on Saturday morning, 4-1.
The first point of the day was awarded to the Tars when they took two doubles matches. Rollins switched things up by placing Luke Horan with Andrea Brignacca in flight one, and pairing Gai Feigin and Atakan Gezer in flight two. The straegy paid off when Horan and Brignacca handled David Solar and Dom Spicer, 6-1. Rollins earned the point when the dynamic duo of Freddy Danielson and Mikkel Baumann defeated Pierre Renaudie and Max Rink in flight three, 6-2. Flight two went unfinished after Rollins secured the doubles win.
Four of the six singles matches were played to completion with the Tars claiming victory in three of them:
- Wayne State earned their only point of the day in flight one when Renaudie defeated Feigin 6-3, 6-4.
- The highlight of the day came in position two when Atakan Gezer battled to three sets against #18 Niklas Karcz. The first set went to Gezer, 6-2, but Karcz fought back to claim the second, 6-3. In the third and final set, Gezer dominated with an impressive 6-0 win. It was his third singles victory of the season.
- Andrea Brignacca stayed hot ouf of position three with a tough 6-3, 7-5 win over Rink. The win puts Brignacca's season record at 6-1.
- Leo Cordero earned the position six win by overpowering Solar 7-5, 6-4 to move his season mark to 2-0.
- Mikkel Baumann (Flight four) and Freddy Danielson (Flight five) left their matches unfinished after Rollins clinched the match.
The Tars will rest up on Sunday before hopping back on the court to take on Bluefield State. First serve is scheduled for 3:00 pm at the Bert Martin Complex on campus.