No. 11 Rollins Makes Easy Work of Bulldogs in Regional Play
WINGATE, N.C. (February 25, 2018) – The 11th-ranked Rollins women's lacrosse team once again saw a total team effort contribute to a 19-8 win over Wingate University on Sunday afternoon at Graham Gill Field. The Tars found themselves trailing by two with 10:12 on the clock in the first half, but scored 10 straight in the ensuing 15 minutes and never looked back, taking a 13-5 lead with 24:37 to play in the second half. With the win, Rollins advances to 3-2 on the season, while Wingate drops to 1-2 overall.
Junior Kallie German notched a new career best for goals in a game, and tallied seven points overall as she scored five goals and added two assists to lead the game. Hannah Ashton tallied four goals of her own, while Lily Rizk notched a new career best in goals with a hat trick on the afternoon. Maggie Dougherty earned three points with two goals and one assist, while Hannah Forbes earned a new season best with a hat trick of her own. Kaitlin Young and Paige Brock rounded out the goal count with one apiece, while P. Brock, Megan Cury, and Hannah Coakley each earned one assist. Matching German in assists with two was sophomore Nikki Stumpf, closing out the day with Rollins earning 19 goals and eight total assists. Lindsay Van Beck led the team in ground balls and caused turnovers with four and three, respectively, while Dougherty led the game with five draw controls. In goal, senior Malorie Olin earned the win, collecting four saves while allowing only two goals in her 27:27 minutes of action. Sophomore Sarah Neely saw a total of 23:13 minutes between the pipes, allowing five goals while earning three saves, while freshman Gabby Tanner played a total of 9:20 minutes, allowing one goal in her time in cage.
Wingate saw three goals each from Joanna King and Kendall Wells, followed by one goal apiece from Mrogan Akers and Casey Roux. Nina Cifolilli and Emly Ketron dished out one assist each as the Bulldogs put up a total of eight goals and two assists. Arion Pierre led the team with four ground balls as she played a full game in goal. Pierre earned 19 saves on the day while allowing 19 total goals in a full 60 minutes of action. Adding to her goal, Roux led the team with four draw controls, while King and Sierra Street earned a team best one caused turnover apiece.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First Half: German got the ball rolling with a goal off of a free position shot at the 28:44 mark, but the Bulldogs retaliated less than a minute later with an unassisted goal by Wells to tie the game at 1-1. Both teams traded blows twice to tie the score at 3-3, with Wells scoring at the 13:31 mark to even the tally. Wells notched her second straight to give Wingate the lead at the 11:24 mark, and an unassisted goal by King with 10:12 to play in the first half saw the Bulldogs take a 5-3 lead over the Tars. Rollins was not about to back down, and a goal by Rizk with 9:38 on the clock ignited a five goal run by Rollins to close out the half with Rollins holding onto an 8-5 lead.
- Second Half: Rollins continued to ride its momentum from the first half, scoring five more to open the second period to give the Tars a 13-5 lead with 24:37 to play. Wingate halted the streak with back-to-back goals to pull within six, 13-7, with 22:10 on the clock, but five unanswered goals by the Tars saw them extend their advantage to 11 points, 18-7, with 4:25 left to play. Wingate earned one last goal on a free position shot by King with 1:57 to go, but a late goal by Forbes with 49 seconds left closed out the South Region contest with Rollins holding onto a 19-8 lead.
- Rollins notched its longest scoring streak so far this season, scoring 10 straight to go from trailing by two, 5-3, to leading by eight, 13-5.
- The Tars sit 11th on the IWLCA Division II Preseason Poll, and sit 16th on the NIKE/US Lacrosse Division II Top 20.
- Rollins now holds onto a 2-0 record against Wingate in the program series. The last time the two teams matched up in official competition was on February 26, 2017, where the Tars earned a 9-3 victory over the Bulldogs in Wingate, N.C.
- Lindsay Van Beck matched a career best in ground balls with four. The first time Van Beck earned four ground balls in a contest was on March 26, 2017 against Grand Valley State.
- Hannah Forbes earned a new season best in goals with three.
- Kallie German notched a new career best in goals in a game with five
- Lily Rizk earned a new career high in both goals and overall points with three.
- Nikki Stumpf dished out a season best two assists.
- With her nine goals over the weekend, German has vaulted from seventh to fifth in program record books for career goals scored. German has amassed 98 in her career, and is 97 goals back from program leader Tyler Thomas `16, who scored 195 in her four years with the Tars. German also sits seventh in overall points with 146, and fourth in career assists with 48.
- German tallied four free-position goals over the weekend, which gives her a total of 41 in her career. German needs just six more free position goals to match program leader Erica Pagliarulo `13, and seven to take over the program record books as the all-time free position goal scorer in Rollins women's lacrosse history.
- Van Beck's four caused turnovers this weekend give her 63 total in her career. Van Beck currently sits third in program records, and place her 44 CT's behind the all-time leader Courtney Bianculli `13, who earned 107 in her career.
Rollins returns home to host three straight home games to kick off the month of March. The Tars will begin with a Tuesday night matchup against Queens (NC) on March 6, and then host Seton Hill on March 9, followed by a March 12 showdown against Lock Haven. Fans who are unable to attend the games will be able to catch all of the action live on the Tars Sports Network on RollinsSports.com, as well as with live stats on TarsStats.com.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins women's lacrosse team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.