Fifteen Different Tars Earn Points En Route to Victory
WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 16, 2019) – A total of fifteen different Tars earned points on the evening as the No. 9/12 Rollins women's lacrosse team made easy work of Westminster College (Utah), routing the Griffins by a final score of 19-1 on Saturday evening at Cahall-Sandspur Field.
The win advances the Tars to 2-0 on the young season, while Westminster opens their 2019 campaign with a record of 0-1.
Freshman Caroline Gastonguay led the team in scoring on the night, earning a season best three goals and adding one assist for four points. Kaitlin Young earned a hat trick of her own, marking a new career best. Also notching three points on the night were Kallie German and Taylor Kienle with two goals and one assist apiece, and Nikki Stumpf with a career best three assists. Earning two points apiece were Shannon Polk with a goal and an assist, Marina Longo with two goals, and Paige Brock with two assists. Lindsay Van Beck, Rachel Valocchi, Lily Rizk, Hannah Ashton, Sammy Ottimo, and Maddie McVicker scored one goal each, while Eden Cooke dished out one assist of her own. Valocchi and Longo led the team in ground balls with two apiece, while Van Beck and Maggie Dougherty won a game best three draw controls each. Earning a game high two caused turnovers was sophomore Adia Field-Ridley, who added one ground ball and one draw control on the night. Gabby Tanner and Sarah Neely split time in goal, with Tanner earning six saves throughout the first 30 minutes of action, and Neely closing out the game making three saves while allowing one goal.
The Griffins' lone goal of the night came from Katie Hendershott off of an assist by Eden Freiberg. Mikala Anderson and Freiberg earned three ground balls each, while Freiberg added a team best to draw controls. Defensively, Kenna Tychsen added a team best two caused turnovers on the night. In goal, Anderson earned the loss, playing a total of 54:17 minutes in goal where she earned 11 saves and allowed 17 goals. Kinsey Erikson closed out the final 5:43 minutes, allowing two goal and not earning a save.
How it Happened:
Rollins opened up to a 3-0 lead in the first minute and half, and never looked back. The Tars held onto a 13-0 lead at the half, and pulled ahead to a 15-0 advantage with 23:16 remaining in the game before the Griffins were able to get themselves on the board with a goal by Hendershott off of an assist by Freiberg at the 18:14 mark. The Tars made easy work of Westminster in the final 18 minutes, adding four more goals to close out the game with a sizeable 19-1 lead.
- The Tars are currently 2-0 on their home turf in 2019.
- The contest marked the first time the two teams matched up in official competition. Rollins now leads the all-time series against the Griffins, 1-0.
- Career and Program Record Updates:
- Kallie German now leads the all-time record books in overall points with 230, sits third in goals scored with 157, fourth in assists with 73,
- Maggie Dougherty sits seventh in career draw controls with 101.
- Lindsay Van Beck currently sits in 15th in program record books with 78 career ground balls, and is third in caused turnovers with 87.
- Adia Field Ridley earned a new career best in caused turnovers with two
- Caroline Gastonguay earned a new season best in goals with three
- Taylor Kienle matched a career best three points, two goals, and one assist.
- Marina Longo matched her career best in goals with two.
- Shannon Polk earned the first points of her collegiate career with a goal and an assist on the night.
- Stumpf notched a new career best with three assists
- Kaitlin Young earned a new career best in points and goals with three.
Rollins returns to action on Friday, February 22, when they travel to Hickory, N.C. to take on Lenoir-Rhyne. Game time against the Bears is set for 4 p.m. fans who are unable to attend the game will be able to follow all of the action with links to live coverage available on RollinsSports.com.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins women's lacrosse team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.