SAINT LEO, Fla. (February 8, 2019) – The No. 7 Tars stayed unbeaten on the year downing No. 23 Saint Leo in a non-conference tilt at University Turf Field. Rollins improves to 3-0 on the year, while the Lions drop their first contest to sit at 0-1.
Hannah Ashton starred for Rollins, finding the back of the net five times. Lily Rizk continued her All-American level play with a five point performance as well, netting four goals, and dishing out one assist. Caroline Gastonguay scored twice and contributed one assist, while Marina Longo, Hannah Coakley, and Sammy Ottimo each scored twice. Gabby Tanner stopped 10 shots, playing the full 60 minutes between the pipes for the Tars.
Ashlee Wilsynski and Sam Nolan each tallied a hat trick to lead the Lions attack. Erin Davis and Emma Crafton split time in net for Saint Leo. The pair combined for 15 saves.
Maggie Dougherty assisted Rizk just five seconds into the game to open scoring. However, the Lions would battle back to take the lead, and control much of the first 30 minutes. Rollins would tie the game at 2-2, and take a 3-2 lead on a Dougherty free position shot just after the 27 minute mark, but after that the Tars would not regain control on the scoreboard until the 2:55 mark of the first half. Rizk deposited a pair of late goals, giving the Tars a two goal cushion heading into the break, 8-6.
The Lions cut the lead to 8-7 before the Tars reeled off a seven goal run, over 13 minutes, to put the game away. Ottimo opened the stretch with the first two goals, Ashton added a pair, while Longo, Coakley, and Gastonguay all pitched in one. The teams traded goals down the stretch, but Saint Leo could never get closer than six, and the Tars extended the lead to nine by the time the final buzzer sounded.
- The Tars are now 10-1 all-time against the Lions.
- Dennis Short, the only coach in the 13 year history of Rollins women's lacrosse, not holds a 148-54 overall record.
- Rizk's four goals and one assist match a career high for points in a game, she also earned five points last time out against Alabama-Huntsville.
- Ashtonhas tallied six goals in a game three times, while this marks the fifth time she has tallied five goals in a contest.
- Rollins and Saint Leo will face off on Friday, March 27, in Winter Park, as part of Sunshine State Conference play.
The Tars have an extended break before opening their home slate against top-ranked Adelphi on Sunday, February 23. First draw is set for 1 p.m. at Barker Family Stadium.