WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 24, 2020) - Rollins started their week off the right way with an impressive 6-1 victory over the visiting Valdosta State Blazers on Monday in Winter Park.
The first point was awarded to Rollins after they swept all three doubles matchups. Flight three was the first to finish with Marie Debruyn and Polina Vlasova dominatin the match over Julia Saving and Birte Langestein by a score of 6-0. In the second flight, Katie Groves and Georgina Groth defeated Rachelle Starrevad and Hera Bjork 6-1 to clinch the point. Rollins swept the doubles matches when Alexandra Borg and Ola Durzynski secured flight one with a 6-4 win.
Rollins went 5-1 in singles competition.
- Alexandra Borg squared off against Estee Widdershoven in flight one. It was a great fight between the two one seeds with Borg taking the first set 7-5, followed by a 6-2 win for Widdershoven. Valdosta took the point when their senior outdueled her Tars counterpart 10-4 in the third set.
- Ola Durzynski had an even closer match than Borg. Langenstein took the first set by a 7-5 score, but Durznski batled back for a 6-3 win in set two. Both ladies battled in the third, but in the end Durzynski came out on top, 11-9.
- In flight three, Katie Groves stayed hot with her second straight singles win. The sophomore made quick work of Julia Saving, 6-1, 6-2.
- Georgina Groth made her third appearance in flight four on the season. The freshman handled Eva Rivoal to the tune of 6-4, 6-2.
- Marie Debruyn played well in her flight five matchup with Hera Bjork, taking the point 6-2, 6-4.
- Freshman Polina Vlasova saw action in her fourth singles match of the year in flight six. Hers was the fist to finish after she swept Rachel Chan-Yaneff in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0.
The win is the second in a row for the Tars, and brings their season mark to 3-2. They have a busy week with two more games on the scedule. Next up is a Sunshine State Conference Matchup with Embry-Riddle in Daytona on Wednesday, February 26. First serve is scheduled for 3:30 pm. Stay tuned to RollinsSports.com for the latest updates.