WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 28, 2020) - The Rollins Tars started off hot on the road at Flagler, but eventually came home with a 5-2 loss on Friday afternoon.
The Tars secured the first point of the match by winning two of the three doubles matches. Alexandra Borg and Ola Durzynski started the match with an impressive 6-2 win over Eden Schlagnehauf and Amelie Vausgaetter in the first flight. The Saints took the second flight when Anika Nissen and Lixin Wang defeated Katie Groves and Georgina Groth by a 6-2 count. That left it up to Marie Debruyn and Polina Vlasova to come through for the Tars, which they did. In a neck and neck battle, the Rollins duo was able to secure the point with a 7-5 win.
Unfortunately that was the highlight of the day, as the Rollins only won one of six singles matches:
- Borg faced a tough test in flight one, facing the #14 ranked player in the country, Eden Schlagenhauf. The German sophomore won the match 6-2, 6-2 over Borg.
- Ola Durzynski did not fare any better in her matchup against #34 Lixin Wang, falling in straight sets 6-0, 6-4.
- Annika Nissen (#28) was the third ranked singles player that Rollins had to face. Katie Groves lost the set 6-2, 6-2. It was only her second singles loss of the year.
- Marie Debruyn struggled against Vausgaetter, dropping her match by a score of 6-1, 6-2.
- The freshman Polina Vlasova was the silver lining in single splay for the Tars. She was able to earn a point for Rollins with a 6-0, 7-5 win over Florencia Massardo.
- Natalia Collado Cordon was a late sub into the sixth flight. In only her second match of her young career, the Spanish native fell 7-5, 6-1 against Alessandra Traub.
Rollins will be back in action next week when they start a nine-game homestand. They will face Division I UNC-Geensboro on March 4th, Lander on March 5th, and Saginaw Valley on March 7. Stay tuned to RollinsSports.com for the latest updates.