Tars Close Out 2017 South Region Crossover with 2-1 Record
HOOVER, Ala. (October 14, 2017) – After making easy work of Christian Brothers University in the first two sets, the Rollins volleyball team found themselves trailing by five, 14-9, halfway through in the third set. The Tars were not about to back down, and fought hard to come from behind to earn the 28-26 victory in the final set, sweeping the Lady Bucs in their final match of the 2017 South Region Crossover.
The 3-0 (25-15, 25-13, 28-26) victory advances Rollins to an overall record of 7-9 on the season, and closes out the Tars' Crossover appearance with a mark of 2-1 against their Gulf South Conference opponents. Christian Brothers closes out the weekend tournament with a mark of 1-2, and moves to 11-13 overall.
Shannon McDonough led the team in both kills and digs on the day with 14 apiece as she earned her 11th double-double of her senior campaign. McDonough posted her best hitting percentage yet this season as she walked away with a .464 percentage. Fellow senior Bri Civiero earned 11 kills and added one assist, nine digs, and two blocks on the day. Rachel Fletcher tallied seven kills, one assist, 11 digs, and earned on block on the day, while Kerra Tirado earned seven kills and two blocks. Dishing out the assists was sophomore Cassidy Cason with 35, to which she also contributed three kills and nine digs.
The Lady Bucs saw a team high eight kills from Emma Lenoir, while Mary Kathryn Miller, Kapria Manning, and Gennah Schoen tallied five and four, respectively. Alexa Henderson earned a team best 20 assists, while Blythe Clausen amassed a match best 17 digs. Christina Brothers put up eight blocks as a team, led by Destini Berry with two.
COACH ROBINSON'S THOUGHTS:
"I thought we did a nice job of playing both controlled and aggressive today. Overall, this weekend has been good preparation for the rest of our conference season."
- The victory marks the fourth sweep of the season for Rollins.
- Rollins is now 5-1 in the all-time series against Christian Brothers University
- In neutral site matches this season, the Tars hold onto a record of 3-4.
- Civiero notched her 15th match with double-digit kills, including her 10th straight.
- McDonough notched her 14th match with double-digit kills, and has posted 13 straight with double-digit kill counts.
- McDonough earned her 11th double-double of the season
- Date: Tuesday | October 17, 2017
- Opponent: No. 4 Palm Beach Atlantic
- Location: Rubin Arena | West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Time: 7:00 p.m.
- Coverage: Live Stats | Video
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.