Rollins Falls to Saint Leo, 3-0
WINTER PARK, Fla. (October 5, 2018) – Hosting their annual Dig Pink event on Friday evening in Warden Arena, the Rollins volleyball team squared up against Saint Leo University in a Sunshine State Conference tilt. Despite the Tars' best efforts, the Lions came out on top, earning a 3-0 (16-25, 12-25, 21-25) victory.
After five straight matches on the road, the Tars eagerly made their return to Warden Arena, taking to their home court for the first time since September 15. Despite the excitement, the Tars found themselves at the bottom end of a 3-0 final score. the loss drops Rollins to a mark of 3-14 overall, and 1-9 in SSC action, while the Lions advance to a record of 9-9, and 6-4 against SSC opponents.
Rollins was led by senior Kerra Tirado with seven kills, while Leslie Seda and Madison Jenkins notched six apiece. Both sophomore Sarah Konemann and freshman Rebecca Kuehn handed out 12 assists apiece. Senor Rachel Fletcher led the team in digs with 10. Earning a team best in blocks was Tirado with two, while Sam Schlesman earned the Tars' lone solo block on the evening.
The Lions saw a match best nine kills from Ashley Quero, followed by eight from both Anilise Fitzi and Annabella Arcari. Cassandra Kamien handed out a match high 37 assists. Both Fabiola Rosado and Payton Bellano earned two aces apiece. Earning a match best 12 kills was Reggie Vandevender, while Fitzi matched Tirado in total blocks with two, one assisted and one solo.
- The score was tied four times throughout the match, including two in the third set, and saw the lead change hands three times, once in each set.
- Rollins returned home to Warden Arena on Friday night after five straight road games.
- The Tars are now 2-3 when playing at home.
- Friday night's game marked the first time the two teams have matched up on the court this season.
- The last time out against the Lions, a Rollins squad plagued with injuries fell in straight set (13-25, 11-25, 14-25) on October 28, 2017 in Warden Arena.
- A predominantly young squad, Rollins' roster is comprised of five freshmen, five sophomores, one junior, and three seniors.
- Date: Saturday | October 6, 2018
- Opponent: Florida Southern College
- Location: Warden Arena in the Alfond Sports Center | Winter Park, Fla.
- Time: 4:00 PM
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.