Rollins Unable to Seal the Deal Against Nova Southeastern
WINTER PARK, Fla. (October 27, 2018) – The Rollins volleyball team jumped out to a 2-0 match lead, and led set three by a score of 22-18. But Nova Southeastern battled back to claim the final three sets of the match, with Rollins falling by a final score of 3-2 (25-18, 25-19, 23-25, 20-25, 10-15) on Saturday afternoon in Warden Arena.
The loss drops the Tars to a mark of 4-22 and 1-15 in Sunshine State Conference action, while the Sharks advance to a record of 6-20, and 4-12 in conference play.
Leslie Seda earned her second double-double of the season, tallying a match high 14 kills and adding 10 digs while adding one assist, one ace, and three blocks including two solo blocks. Both Madison Jenkins and Sam Schlesman earned 10 kills on the day, with Schlesman hitting .421 throughout the match and adding one assist, three digs, and three blocks including two solo blocks, as well. Jenkins hit .258 on the match, and added two digs to her stat line for the day. Rebecca Kuehn handed out 39 of the Tars' 48 assists on the afternoon, and added four kills, one ace, seven digs, and three total blocks. Adriane Griffith had a solid outing, earning a season best six kills while adding seven digs and three blocks. Kerra Tirado led the team in blocks with six total with one solo block and five assisted, and added seven kills and three digs. Tirado's six blocks marked a match high. Both Alondra Rodriguez and Jessika Linnemeyer earned a team best two aces on the day.
The Sharks saw a team high 13 kills from both Maddie Uilk and Maya Patterson, while Erin Carter notched 12 kills of her own. Samantha Blasko and Caylee Cox split time as the setter, with Blasko earning a team best 29 assists, while Cox handed out 21 of her own. Both Blasko and Megan Burns earned two aces apiece throughout the match. Burns led NSU in digs with 29, while Patterson secured a double-double with 18 digs which she added to her 13 kills. Nova Southeastern saw a team best five total blocks from Leslie Atherton, including a match best three solo blocks.
- Leslie Seda earned her second double-double of the season, posting 14 kills and adding 10 digs. The sophomore tallied her first double-double back on September 8 with 10 kills and 11 digs, when Rollins earned a 3-1 win over Florida Tech in Warden Arena.
- The match saw a total of 25 tie scores, and 11 different lead changes, including nine tie scores and five lead changes in Set 2.
- The Tars were riding a 39 set losing streak against Sunshine State Conference opponents, which was snapped when Rollins won the first set of the match against the Sharks. The last set the Tars won against an SSC opponent was back on September 8, when they earned a 25-22 win in Set 1 against Florida Tech in Warden Arena.
- The Tars are now 1-1 on the season when playing in a match that goes to five sets.
- Rollins is also 1-1 on the season when playing in a match where they jump out to a 2-0 lead.
- In their last match-up with Nova Southeastern, the Tars found themselves at the bottom end of a 3-0 final score, falling to the Sharks 13-25, 22-25, 20-25.
- Rollins' last win over Nova Southeastern was on Saturday, October 7. The Tars defeated the Sharks in straight sets, (25-20, 28-26, 25-21) in Rick Case Arena in Ft. Lauderdale.
- Rollins leads the all-time series against the Sharks, 24-16.
- Date: Friday, November 2, 2018
- Opponent: Lynn University
- Location: Warden Arena | Alfond Sports Center | Winter Park, Fla.
- Time: 7:00 pm
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.